Tuesday 13 October 2009

Happy Daze

Nidge sits in the infirmary at Klima and smiles softly. He looks around the room admiring the desk, the paintings, the books. It seems odd to sit in the chair wearing his fine clothing. He suddenly laughs out loud, the sound echoing in the vast space. Life has been difficult lately and many changes have taken place. Things seem to be going well, for now anyway. He opens the leather journal in front of him.

"It has been some time since I have written. I have not known what to write. Usually these pages have given me the opportunity to process my thoughts and feelings, but lately I have had trouble comprehending the situations I have found myself in."

"I awoke early one day a couple of weeks ago to find my master was not in the room. I had feared that he was planning to sell me; I felt I was not pleasing enough for him or the other men of the city. I ventured out to find him. He was in the courtyard talking to the man who intended to become Free Companion of the mistress. I was called over to him and, of course, ran to kneel by him. He seemed very serious and I felt a wave of panic hit me. He reached down to me. I wasn't sure what was happening. My collar fell away from my throat. I clutched at it desperately, but he grabbed it and cast it away. Tears stung my eyes as the feeling of rejection filled me. I now felt sure that I was about to meet my death."

"I almost did not hear the words my master spoke. I could scarce believe my ears when I did hear them. He told me he wished to free me from my slavery and asked if I would accept him as my Free Companion. The shock was great and my whole body convulsed. I fell in to his arms, clinging desperately to him. Of course, I accepted."

Nidge looks up from his journal. He remembers the happiness that he felt at that moment...and how very different things are now.

"I spoke with the Ubar and he welcomed me to the oasis as a Free Man. He had spoken with the sheiks and members of the High Castes and they allowed me to take up my place as physician. I spent some time sorting out the infirmary and arranging it to best serve those who may have need of it."

"By the time I had finished, I was hot and tired so I went to the baths and spent time with the other men of the oasis. Several of us then retired to the scribery and we spent a long time chatting and joking. I commented openly that it was the first time I had found peace for a long time. My love joined us and we spent a pleasant time enjoying each other's company."

"Of course, that happiness was short lived. My love fought with the Council later that day. His sister had decided not to go ahead with the Free Companionship and her lover had been driven out of the city. The Council had not been pleased with my former master's actions and he left our Home Stone following the argument. His sister and I followed him for a time but both of us ended up back in Klima."

The physician stops writing and feels a wave of sadness pass over him as he thinks how he lost his lover. They had tried to reconcile their differences, but the dark moods his love was capable of left Nidge afraid and uncertain of where he stood. That situation is now ended. The lady who Nidge loved so much is gone too.

"There is a place I like to sit on the city wall. I can see across the dunes. One evening as I sat staring out over the desert, I thought I saw movement, as if something was falling from the cliff, and went to investigate. I was horrified to find one of the citizens sprawled in the sands. His body was battered but I was most concerned by the heavy bleeding from a head wound. I managed to get help taking him back to the city. We treated his wounds, but he slipped in to a coma."

Nidge shudders at the thought that the great man who he feels such affection for could have died. Despite the man's abrasive nature, the physician respects and admires him - he has found a friend and an ally.

"My friend survived and he slowly healed. He seems different sometimes now. I feel I may be different too...I never expected to be involved in preventing an attempt on his life while he lay in a coma. The source of the failed assassination attempt was also something of a shock. I found strength through someone else. He is new in my life. He gives me stability. He makes me feel loved and cared for. I do not know where this will lead or even if he will choose to stay in my life, but for now I am content just to be around him."

Nidge closes the journal and puts down his pen. He settles back in his seat and closes his eyes. A smile plays softly on his lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment