Wednesday 15 July 2009

In All Honesty (OOC)

Having read much about SL Gor on the web (e.g. the Gorean Forums, etc.), I realise that there are certain issues that divide the community. One is permanent mutilation and/or permanent death. Another is alts. So, for anyone actually reading this and having any interest in it, I will set out my personal perspective on these two issues.

Firstly, permanent mutilation/death. No. Sorry, I don't accept it. I have heard the arguments that "this is Gor". No. This is SL. It isn't real. It is a virtual world. It is an entertainment form. I am here to have fun and enjoy myself. If I spend time and real money creating an avatar and a character, you are not taking it away from me on a whim - I pay, I play and you have no say. If you don't like my attitude on this, tough. If you believe you are in Gor, you need to seek professional help. If you want to maim, torture and kill me for no reason other than because you can, I would suspect that you have some deep seated issues and again should probably seek professional help, but I will roleplay along with you to the best of my ability if that is what floats your boat. If you think that ultimately your word is law and you have any control over me then you need to get some perspective.

Secondly, alts. People jump up and down screaming about alts in Gor. Well, guess what - I am an alt. I have another account in SL. My other account, however, does not come to Gor. He has his own life - a husband, a family, land, a nightclub (set in a better castle than some I have seen in Gor!), staff, an inventory to die for and, sadly, some of those blasted sionChickens.

I am open about being an alt. If anyone asks about my other account, I tell them the name - he isn't hard to find anyway as both accounts have the same first name (which is my RL nickname and the name I use all over the web - some people might think that is not very inventive, some people might realise it actually means I don't think I have anything to hide). The real life pictures on the two profiles are different but still me and the information on the tab is the same (more or less).

The problem arises when people bring alts in to the same sim or social circle (in and out of Gor) and use them to cause trouble - both IC and OOC. This can, in roleplay, be using IC information obtained by one account and used on another, OOC information
taken from profiles, web pages, etc. used the same way or by manipulating situations using two or more AVs.

I won't tolerate unnecessary drama. On my non-Gorean account I have a family who have given me more drama and heartache in both SL and RL than I can cope with. In SL they have bitched, sniped, had affairs, broken hearts, stolen, etc. In RL they have bitched, divorced, had breakdowns, attempted suicide, been diagnosed with cancer, been alcoholics, etc. And all this while my own health has been failing me since before Christmas last year.

So if you are a drama causing alt, please stay away from me - people have enough crap to deal with in their real lives. SL and specifically SL Gor is meant to be an adult world - act like an adult and leave your childish games behind.
I forgive but I never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment